participation * power * possible
since the war started in 1998,
*6.2 million people have been killed
*45,000 continue to die every month.
* Rape has become a dominant weapon of war.
* This has been the world's deadliest conflict since WWII.
The CONGO HAS BEEN CALLED THE WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO BE A WOMAN.
how is this possible?
Genocide is about POWER. - Harff
Isolation is a barrier to peacebuilding.
It prevents people from connecting.
Rebel militias take advantage of this isolation in campaigns to instill fear through terror and sexual violence.
Yet women are the most powerful agents of change.
To realize peace, we must revolutionize participation, which reinvents power structures, and redefines the possible.
“Working with the poorest of the poor saves more lives and is more effective than normative approaches.*" World Food Program
Who We Are
Last year we:
* Launched 10 village micro-finance coops.
* Empowered 500 people to rise out of extreme global poverty (less than $1 per day).
* Helped 30,000 at-risk people access safe latrines, cutting their risk for cholera by 80%.
* 1,500 farmers can now grow more food, to better feed 15,000 people.
* Thanks to a sustainable irrigation program 20,000 people have safe access to clean drinking water.
Mapendo Isabelle with her children near their home,
Resolve Site visit September 2011
is more than numbers...
So what does peace look like?
we're going to let the women of Resolve tell the story...
is giving these women their very own platform...
an interactive multimedia blog
by women for women
Women in Media:
Resolve’s interactive blog ("Trust, Means, Peace") allows at-risk women in East DRC to engage with each other and a global community to develop, implement, and evolve projects to build peace from the roots.
This is an opportunity to be the voice of their own stories...
What is WeNet?
= Crisis Mapping
+ Community Health Worker Program
+ Women in Media Blog
Resolve is launching WeNet, a diverse technological platform connecting communities.
WeNet includes the use of cell phones to report, predict, and prevent violence; a community healthworker program supported through communication technology, and a mixed media blog that gives the women we work with a direct voice to the international community.
Skill Sharing & on-the-ground updates
The Women in Media Blog will consist of:
* Live blogging and video chatting by the mirco-loan recipients.
* Twitter-enabled cell phones will give an opportunity for real-time updates by the women themselves.
*The women will film short videos about experiences and lessons they want to share with other women
*Additionally, using portable mini-camcorders, women will film their own "A Day in the Life" clips.
* Anyone worldwide can suggest grassroots peacebuilding projects
* Develop a proposal with women directly
* Develop strategies to address community needs you have identified together.
Join the conversation
providing capital to buy material and start a business
and together they rebuild their communities
allowing us to offer opportunities to others
Resolve finances loans to women in conflict zones
as businesses become self-supporting, entrepreneurs repay the loans
A message from our Executive Director and Founder, Vijaya Thakur:
Let's make it
“We can raise up our entire community when we join voices.”
- Mapendo Isabell
Break the silence,
Reverse the cycle,
Join the circle.
Find out how www.ResolveNetwork.org
All content copyright © Resolve Network 2012.